Friday 13th Random Facts

* Paraskavedekatriaphobia (or friggatriskaidekaphobia) is a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th, while triskaidekaphobia is the fear of just the number 13

* On Friday the 13th, 1307, Kind Philip of France arrested the revered Knights Templar and began torturing & murdering them

* The British Navy built a ship named Friday the 13th and on its maiden voyage, the vessel left dock on a Friday the 13th and was never heard from again

* On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half

* Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest

* Months with a Friday the 13th always begin on a Sunday

* Those with 13 letters in their name will have the devil's luck: Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Albert DeSalvo, & Jack the Ripper (though the latter was only his moniker, obviously not his real name - which is still disputed to this day)

* Fidel Castro was born on Friday, Aug. 13, 1926

* In a traditional hangman's noose there are 13 twists of the rope and 13 steps to the gallows

* More than 80% of high-rises lack a 13th floor

* In Formula 1 racing, there is no car with the number 13 (the number has been removed after two drivers were killed in crashes, both driving cars numbered 13)

* The seals on the back of a dollar bill include 13 steps on the pyramid, 13 stars above the eagle's head, 13 war arrows in the eagle's claw and 13 leaves on the olive branch (so far there's been no evidence tying these long-ago design decisions to the present economic situation)

6 comments:

  1. This is the first time I am looking at your work and I must say....I just love every piece.Looking at your Etsy page,each little creature has taken a place in my heart!!Just wonderful creations,with wonderful eyes that pierce the heart.Warmest Regards,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what sweet & kind words :*) It's encouragement from people like you that keeps me going, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool :] but I believe 13 is a lucky number, a very lucky number :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well from now on, I'll view #13 as lucky! In numerology, it's a #4! No superstitions for me, but it's like a good ghost story, Fun to fear.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool...can I use it today on my blog and quote you? My family and I have been talking a lot about superstition and how silly it is - and where it came from. I've been thinking about this, and your post is inspiring me to do it today:)

    -Fae

    ReplyDelete
  6. 13 is lucky for me not only has it just been my lucky number but my husband was born on the 13th, plus this year is our 13th year we have been married.Love your blog page and found your facts about 13 really interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

~ Brialee